It's Here... No Really, It's Here!

Posted on March 20th, 2011

Once again settled into our daily routine, we had accepted the fact that we would not have our container for maybe another month or two. When out of the blue, we received a call. “Yes, it’s here. No, this is for real. The container is in Gabs.” Halleluja! And our anticipated month had been only a week! So once more Keith and I prepared for the 10 hour journey to the capital. Only this time, we would ride the express bus! Yes, memories of our first journey up here were pushed to the back of our minds and we packed with excitement.

On Wednesday at 6 a.m. we were at the border where the bus comes from Lusaka, Zambia, to pick up passengers for the journey to Gabs. For 3 hours, we waited. However, the time was used to visit with the others waiting for the bus. Many were from Zimbabwe or Zambia and were heading to Gabs or South Africa on business.

While waiting, I was entertained by two events. The first was a young couple walking from the Botswana side to the Zambian side. They had evidently come over to shop. Their precious purchases were carefully ensconced in their arms: a 3 foot long bag of Cheetos (Yes, I kid you not, that is how LARGE the bag is!) and a satellite dish for tv reception. Yep, they were planning on a fun weekend!

Next, one of the ubiquitous taxis pulled up to let passengers disembark for border crossing. However, this driver screamed to be noticed. His taxi van displayed a stuffed monkey tied to the front bumper as if it had been road kill and on the side of the taxi painted in large letters the word, “Killer.” I burst into laughter! I knew I did not have the nerve to ride in his taxi!

Once on board the bus, we settled in for a long, hot, and exhausting ride. Thankfully, we did not breakdown and arrived safely at our destination about 8 pm. Since Mark was out of town, we caught a cab so Deb and KG did not have to get out at night. Our driver was a wonderful man who at one time had worked for one of the last independent (i.e. not government controlled) newspapers in Zimbabwe. When he wrote a piece on the corruption of the military, he and the editor were dragged from their homes and severely beaten and tortured for 48 hours. Taking his family, he fled to the peace and safety of Botswana and now has started producing a very chic magazine, titled Elegant Homes. He showed us a copy and it is very impressive, glossy and fancy. Keith and he had a meaningful visit as he expressed his desire to help the poor youth of this country. We wished him well in his new life in Botswana and hope to keep in touch with him and his ministry to

Thursday, we rose early to begin again the clearing process. Everything went well and on Friday, we cleared and emptied the container. It took 4 hours to do so,compared to the 2 days to load it. The customs officer in charge of our container was a member of the Broadhurst congregation we had visited last Sunday. She and I had a lovely visit as I explained each piece of wrapped furniture that was unloaded. By the end of the process, we had been visited by nearly everyone on the property. They were amazed at the size of the F350, marveling that they had never seen such a truck in Botswana, nay in Africa!

Finally finished, we set out for the CID (Criminal Investigation Department) so they could clear the truck and trailer. Their job is to run the vin numbers through INTERPOL to make sure neither are stolen. As we drove to CID, we were turning heads in the rush hour traffic. Keith went in with our clearing agent and I sat outside to wait. A number of people stopped and visited with me about the truck and trailer. One lady, a very professional woman, turned her car around in rush hour traffic and came back to inquire where she could buy such a trailer! We have her business card and promised to let her know if we begin manufacturing them. That is a possibility in the future.

After a quick stop at the Spicers, where many neighbors came out to gaze at the truck, we thanked them for their incredible hospitality, then turned our weary heads toward home. All the way out of town, people turned to stare, especially little boys and men.The trip home was long with several stops to sleep. Finally, at 9 a.m. Saturday, we turned into our driveway exhausted but grateful to be home.

Posted in not categorized    Tagged with no tags


Jerry - March 21st, 2011 at 2:44 PM
Sounds like an adventure for sure. Keep the blogs coming, love you guys. Jerry
Rick Carroll - April 2nd, 2011 at 1:44 PM
Bwana asifewe!!! Thanks so much for the update. I'd have given a lot to have been in that truck with you guys! And it sounds like the truck and trailer are garnering every bit as much attention as you anticipated! I'm thinking that there definitely needs to be a manufacturing operation set up and SOON! And how's this for a name; "The Honey Hauler" ???

Blessings to all!

Leave a Comment


follow on

no categories

no tags